EL PASO COUNTY — Distributing the COVID-19 vaccine to Colorado's vulnerable populations involves many variables. While Colorado ranks high for states distributing the vaccine. Concerns remain for supply and getting it out to those who need it most.
In El Paso County, partnerships are underway to get those seventy and older vaccinated. From health care providers to pharmacies- public health leaders are hoping people in that age group will sign up with multiple providers to get vaccinated as supplies become available.
Coloradans in the 70+ age group can register with providers, even if they're not currently a patient. Within the last week, additional resources have become available in the state to help get elderly Coloradans the vaccine.
El Paso County is adding Safeway to its list of providers for the vaccine. Additionally, public health says it's working with local home health groups, Silver Key services, and other community resources in an effort to reach out to elderly Coloradans who may not have access to technology. Public health leaders add they're also looking at additional options, including partnering with local firefighters to administer vaccines to seniors who can't travel.
Over the weekend, a mass vaccination event put on by UCHealth took place at Coors Field in Denver. Public Health says it's looking into possibilities with local partners to see if a similar event would be possible in El Paso County.
If you or someone you know is looking for information, trying to get an appointment for the COVID-19 vaccine: the following is a list from El Paso County Public Health on vaccine providers for those 70 and older:
- UCHealth: 720-462-2255 UCHealth’s website and hotline can be accessed in Spanish, as well as almost 100 other languages through interpreter services.
- Kaiser Permanente: 1-855-550-0951
- Matthews-Vu: 719-474-7380 This line will be monitored Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Optum and Mountain View Medical Group:719-463-5650 Please send your first and last name, date of birth, and telephone number to COSvaccine@optum.com so our team can schedule an appointment or call.
- Peak Vista Community Health Centers: , 719-344-6500. Spanish translators available.
- Safeway Pharmacy: or call the nearest pharmacy location. All appointments MUST be made online and are on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Veterans Administration: 1-888-336-8262 The PFC Floyd K. Lindstrom Veterans Affairs Clinic in Colorado Springs is now offering appointments for COVID-19 vaccinations to veterans enrolled in VA health care who are in the 1B priority group (75-plus). No action is required at this time for veterans wishing to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment COVID-19 Vaccine Hotline toll-free number: 1-877-CO VAX CO (1-877-268-2926)
- Through Jan 31: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Starting Feb 1: 24 hours a day, seven days a week