NewsCovering Colorado


4 year-old dies in Manitou Springs after a fentanyl overdose

Posted at 7:01 PM, Aug 10, 2021

MANITOU SPRINGS — On Thursday, Aug. 12 the El Paso County Coroner's report revealed that the 4-year old, who died in a hotel room in Manitou Springs, died as a result of a fentanyl overdose

According to the coroner's report, the child's sister saw him "go down" after he drank a powdered drink mix.

The child was identified as 4-year-old Jayden Molitor. The county coroner said that the amount of fentanyl consumed would have been a lethal dose for an adult. The coroner said they believe based on the circumstances that the death was an accident.

Shortly before midnight on July 24, the sheriff's office received a phone call from the Manitou Springs Police Department to assist with a death investigation at a hotel near the 100 block of Manitou Avenue.

Detectives searched three rooms at the hotel and interviewed witnesses.
Initially, the investigation found that there was nothing suspicious surrounding the death, and the Coroner's Office didn't find any immediate cause of death.

On Tuesday, Aug. 10, detectives and medical professionals determined that the death was a result of child abuse and neglect.

The investigation is ongoing.

KOAA News5 on your time, streaming on your Roku, FireTV, AppleTV and AndroidTV.
News5 App | First Alert 5 Weather App
Youtube | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter