COLORADO SPRINGS – Attorneys revealed in court Monday there’s an additional accuser and new charges forthcoming against a man suspected of preying on children for decades.
Joseph Davis, 67, was in court for what was supposed to be a preliminary hearing on 14 additional charges related to alleged child sex assaults, in addition to the nine he faced in an earlier preliminary hearing.
His attorney told the court she received word earlier in the day of a new accuser. The judge presiding over the case had no choice but to re-schedule upon learning detectives in the case were unavailable due to another case in the courthouse.
Family members of an accuser were in the courtroom Monday and sighed in exasperation as the preliminary hearing was continued another three weeks. They declined to speak on the record with News5.
Davis will return to court on May 13th.
As previously reported, Davis is accused of forcing sex on a boy who reported the incidents to his therapist in late 2018. Investigators also discovered that a strikingly similar accusation was made by another boy more than 8 years earlier, however, Davis was never arrested.
Colorado Springs Police have said they are now conducting an internal investigation as to why. Meanwhile, Davis is suspected of collecting and producing child pornography and potentially victimizing other children over a period spanning as long as 35 years.
His stepson, Charles Portis, 46, is accused of helping Davis conceal his crimes. Police have asked anyone who has had interaction with Davis to come forward.