HOUSTON – New Year resolutions do not always have positive results.
Dietitians have some advice to help you achieve your weight loss goals all year round, without actually dieting.
Catherine Kruppa and Brittany Link, from Advice for Eating, says following these simple steps will help you keep the pounds off.
- Chew your food – it takes about 20 minutes for your body to feel full. Slow down so you feel fuller faster.
2. Keep healthy snacks close – keep healthy snacks in sight so you reach for them first.
3. Eat a lot of whole foods – eat more foods that are in their most natural states like fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains versus processed grains. “Instead of having applesauce have an apple. You’ll feel a lot more full,” Kruppa said.
4. Drink plenty of water – dietitians say you should drink half your weight in ounces of hydrating fluids every day. That can be water, soups, juice, and milk.
5. Don’t think of food as ‘bad’ – you can eat unhealthy foods in moderation. “The only reason you really need to avoid a food is for a particular medical reason,” Kruppa said.
While some diets can be dangerous and harmful to your body, following these steps can lead to a healthier, happy lifestyle that you can maintain well into the new year.