BEIRUT (AP) – The U.S. military says two American service members and 2 American civilians have been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by Islamic State in Syria.
The military said in a tweet about Wednesday’s blast in the northern Syrian town of Manbij: “We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time.”
A Syrian war monitor, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, reported earlier that at least two U.S. soldiers were killed in the suicide attack outside a restaurant in Manbij.
The Kurdish Hawar news agency, based in northern Syria, said three Americans were killed.
The blast killed a total of 16 people including nine civilians according to the Observatory. The attack comes as the U.S. has begun the process of withdrawing from Syria.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)