Denver man sentenced for writing bomb threat on flight to DIA

Posted at 12:46 PM, Jul 24, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-24 14:46:53-04

A Denver man was sentenced to 18 months in prison for writing a threatening note aboard a flight from San Diego to Denver.22-year-old Cameron Elvan Korth was a passenger onboard United Airlines flight 231 from San Diego to Denver on January 16. According to court documents, the FBI received reports of a written bomb threat discovered by a passenger, later identified as Korth.The written note said, “THERE IS BOMBS ON UA 231  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LAND.” When the flight landed, it was prompted to park on an isolated part of the airfield away from the DIA Main Terminal and concourses. Court documents said all passengers were evacuated to waiting buses while the aircraft was searched by Denver Police. No explosives were found.Korth was then brought to the Denver Police Office in the airport and interviewed about his involvement in the bomb threat. He voluntarily submitted a written statement, where investigators believed there were many similarities in the letter formation of the words in the actual bomb threat and the words in Korth’s statement.Police determined that Korth was the one responsible for writing the note on paper he found in the seat back in front of him. Court documents said Korth brought the note to one of the aircraft lavatories, put it on the toilet seat cover, and pointed it out to one of the flight attendants.“A written threat like this is a big deal, especially when you’re one of the people traveling in a metal cylinder 30,000 feet above the earth,” said U.S. Attorney Bob Troyer. “Threats like this have real victims.  And they will get you real punishment.”Korth was sentenced last week by U.S. District Court Judge Raymond P. Moore to serve 18 months in a federal prison followed by four months in a halfway house for lying to authorities, according to a release. After his custodial sentence, Korth is ordered to spend three years on supervised release.This incident was investigated by the FBI and Denver Police Department.