Be ready for overnight delays starting Tuesday night as Road crews begin overnight lane restrictions on I-25 as part of a preventative maintenance project that will last until late September.
The Colorado Department of Transportation’s work will fix the sagging of the overpass due to settling since the bridge was put in place ten years ago. Anyone who drives through the area on a regular basis has experienced the rough ride. More on the specifics of the repairs can be found at the bottom of this story.
All of this work will impact both northbound and southbound traffic between Garden of the Gods Road and Woodmen Road. The speed limit is posted at 55 mph through the entire work zone and fines are doubled if you’re caught speeding. Police have been enforcing the lower limit since the project started.
Tuesday 7/17 8 p.m. to Wednesday, 7/18 5 a.m.:
Overnight single and double lane restrictions northbound (left and right lanes) on I-25 between Garden of the Gods Road and Woodmen Road for restriping. There may be only one through lane in this area. Use extreme caution.
Thursday 7/19 8 p.m. to Friday, 7/20 5 a.m.:
Overnight single lane restrictions northbound (left lane) on I-25 between Garden of the Gods Road and Woodmen Road for setting temporary barrier and temporary attenuator modification.
Wednesday 7/18 8 p.m. to Thursday, 7/19 5 a.m.:
Overnight single lane restrictions northbound and southbound (left lanes) on I-25 between Garden of the Gods Road and Woodmen Road for setting temporary barrier.
With an estimated 120,000 vehicles on this stretch of road every year, CDOT will address deterioration of the road by performing the following work:
- Replace expansion joints;
- Install waterproof membrane;
- Install asphalt overlays to protect the bridge decks;
- Replace concrete panels on I-25;
- Replace curbs and gutters at the Woodmen Road interchange;
- Pave median and place barrier on I-25 for future shoulder pavement and median barrier;
- Pave broken slopes;
- Improve drainage at bridge approaches and on I-25;
- Upgrade guardrail to meet current standards;
- Replace a 3/4-mile stretch of guardrail with a concrete barrier;
- Restripe on I-25 to add a continuous east turn lane at the Woodmen Road northbound exit ramp;
- Improve ride quality through various paving processes and landscape work;
- Improve traffic control and signage; and
- Patch cracked concrete with asphalt in the east, northbound lane of I-25, south of the exit to Rockrimmon Boulevard.