Southern Colorado has several ingredients in place today for strong to severe thunderstorm development.
Storms will start over the mountains, Palmer Divide, and Raton Mesa in the early afternoon before they push east across the Plains, and grow in strength.
Severe weather threats include large 1 to 2 inch hail with 60 mph wind gusts. Isolated tornadoes will be possible today, mostly down along the Raton Mesa in Las Animas County, but possibly up around the Palmer Divide in NE El Paso County.
Track this storm through the morning, including latest storm reports and updated forecasts, on the First Alert 5 Weather stream, which can be viewed on the KOAA News5 app for your Roku, FireTV, AppleTV or AndroidTV.
- Tornado Warnings now extend into parts of Prowers and Bent counties.
This storm is showing strong signs of rotation, with a few reports of possible funnel clouds west of Wiley. Anyone from McClave to Wiley should be in a safe place right now. #cowx pic.twitter.com/lkh67xwemD— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 8, 2022
- A tornado warned storm with tennis to baseball size hail is drifting slowly SE over southern Kiowa County, and for now, is over mostly open country.
A Tornado Warning is in effect for southern Kiowa and northern Bent counties until 6:15 pm. It's radar indicated for now, but the storm has been showing signs of rotation on and off for about 45 minutes. #cowx pic.twitter.com/eoWFXulHd7— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- Several Southern Colorado counties remain under Severe Thunderstorm Warnings this afternoon. Strongest storms are mostly impacting rural, farm-land regions. Stay safe!
We currently have multiple Severe Thunderstorm Warnings in effect for the following counties in Southern Colorado: El Paso, Pueblo, Otero, Kiowa, Crowley and Las Animas. Large, damaging hail continues to be the main threat! #cowx pic.twitter.com/lQC4bNSYcQ— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- Worried about this storm hitting I-25 near Burnt Mill right now. Possible tennis ball size hail, maybe larger!
- Anyone from Black Forest to Peyton to Calhan should take shelter from this severe thunderstorm over northern El Paso County.
Not surprised to see this storm cell moving through Black Forest turn severe! Doppler Radar is estimating hail stones from quarters to half dollars. Storm is moving SE at 20 mph. #cowx pic.twitter.com/qIqZghozyj— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for a storm that will move over I-25 south of Pueblo, but north of Colorado City.
- Damaging hail up to 1.5" in diameter possible with this storm over northern Las Animas County.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for parts of Las Animas & Otero counties. Storm is located near Siimpson, along Hwy 350, and is moving NE at 45 mph.— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
Main threats: ping pong ball size hail + 60 mph gusts. #cowx pic.twitter.com/S2fKtrGncw
- A Severe Thunderstorm Watch is now in effect until 8 p.m.
A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued for all of eastern Colorado. Main threats include hail up to tennis ball size, wind gusts to 70 mph, and an isolated tornado. #cowx pic.twitter.com/iPjdD2gOUH— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- Latest severe t-storm is now hitting Trinidad and southern Las Animas County with quarter to golf ball size hail. Storm is moving east at 35 mph.
We also have a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for southern Las Animas County until 3 pm. Main threats include golf ball size hail and the potential for 60 mph wind gusts. #cowx pic.twitter.com/33TW6qgcEG— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- Local storm report coming from KOAA 5 viewer Phyllis Farinaro of quarter to ping pong ball size hail in the Falcon area just before 2 p.m.
#STORMREPORT Thanks Phyllis. #cowx— Rob Quirk (@KOAARobQuirk) June 7, 2022
Here are a couple of pictures of the storm that moved through #Falcon just before 2:00 today. This is about 3 miles north of Woodmen on Meridian Rd. @KOAA pic.twitter.com/KxEefNZmKB
- A close-up view of the hail core as it crosses Highway 24, just to the south of Peyton and Calhan.
Dangerous hail core in pink and black now moving E/SE along Falcon Hwy, with golf ball size hail possible. Storm has crossed Highway 24 and the worst of it should stay south of Peyton & Calhan. #cowx pic.twitter.com/rLd6txBCqa— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- A Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued for central El Paso County and remains in effect until 2 p.m.
A Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for central El Paso County will remain in effect until 2 pm. 60 mph wind gusts and hail up to the size of quarters will be possible as the storm moves SE at 30 mph. #cowx pic.twitter.com/E52dPPlDw3— Alan Rose (@AlanRoseWX) June 7, 2022
- Get your latest First Alert 5 Weather Forecast
- Find the current school closing and delay list
- Keep track of flight delays at Denver International Airport or the Colorado Springs Airport
- Watch KOAA News5 LIVE newscasts and updated content throughout the day in your browser, the News5 App, or your favorite streaming device.
- Download the free News5 App for your iOS or Android device to get the latest headlines and news across Colorado.
- Download the free First Alert 5 Weather App for your iOS or Android device to get the latest headlines and news across Colorado.
- You can find us on social media with KOAA on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter