DENVER – The executive director of the Denver Department of Excise and Licenses rejected a tentative settlement agreement between the city attorney's office and Pinkerton over the company’s security guard employer license earlier this week, the department said Friday.
The settlement agreement that was rejected by Executive Director Ashley Kilroy on Wednesday was not disclosed by the city, however. Pinkerton was ordered in the rejection notice to appear before the department on Feb. 3 to answer more questions about violations of the municipal code for employing or directing an unlicensed security guard. Pinkerton’s first show-cause hearing took place earlier this month.
Pinkerton and Isborn Security were both cited in early November for the violations after a security guard both companies were involved in hiring on contract for a Denver television crew allegedly shot and killed a man at a protest in October.
The Denver Municipal Code reads, in part: “It shall be unlawful for a private security employer to permit or direct any person to perform security services unless the person has obtained a license.”
Isborn earlier this month reached a settlement agreement with the city to surrender its security guard employer license and not seek another for five years, which was approved by Kilroy.
The suspect in the shooting, 30-year-old Matthew Dolloff, was not licensed to operate as a security guard or to carry a gun on the job within the city of Denver. Security guards operating with a license face potential penalties of up to $999 and a year in jail.
Pinkerton said in a previous statement that Dolloff “is not a Pinkerton employee but rather a contractor agent from a long standing [sic] industry vendor.”
Dolloff is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in the murder case on Jan. 8.