NewsCovering Colorado


Wanted suspect barricades himself inside family's garage

Cops say suspect shot himself and is hospitalized
Posted at 5:03 AM, Dec 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-27 19:17:22-05

COLORADO SPRINGS — A suspect who barricaded themselves in a home's unattached garage on the west side of Colorado Springs is now being treated for life-threatening injuries after a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police say.

Police said they were able to make it inside the garage and found the suspect with a gunshot wound. The incident began after 3 a.m. Friday when police discovered a white pickup truck was stolen, tried to stop it and the suspect fled. Officers said they did not pursue, but a search of the area led officers to the vehicle.

Homeowner Bonnie Evans spoke with KVOR about what happened next at her home off North Chestnut Street and West St. Vrain Street.

"A little after 3 this morning I woke up because there were police lights reflecting off the walls in our bedroom. I got up, was looking outside when we got a call from the police basically telling us there was someone in our garage. About 15 minutes later, my husband, my son and I, and my mother-in-law all evacuated the premises. We basically sat in an ambulance for a few hours until they got the guy out."

Bonnie shared a photo of 3 bullet holes in her garage door as a result of the suspect firing his gun. "It wasn't that scary because the police were the ones who woke us up. If we had been awakened by the man in the garage, I think that would have been pretty terrifying."

According to Colorado Springs Police, the suspect fired at least one shot after getting into the detached garage. Officers then blocked off any entry or exit points as they tried to get the suspect to surrender. The suspect then fired three more times through the garage door, although no one outside the garage was struck by bullets.

The Tactical Enforcement Unit and a K9 unit were called in for assistance. Officers found the suspect suffering from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Officers and medics cleared the scene by 7:00 a.m. and allowed the family to return to their home. As of this morning, the suspect's name has not been released.