NewsCovering Colorado


Fire shuts down popular Penrose restaurant

Fire shuts down popular restaurant in Penrose
Posted at 7:32 PM, Dec 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-30 21:46:26-05

PENROSE — A popular Penrose restaurant is closed because of a fire.

The Gooseberry Patch's kitchen went up in flames on Friday. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the fire destroyed some equipment that was more than 30-years-old.

The owners are waiting for insurance to kick in, but they say it probably won't cover food or employee's wages.

"I mean we have been part of this community for a long time and try to employ people with jobs and things and stuff, but I wasn't really aware that anyone noticed and it just seems like a lot of people noticed," said Barbara Martin, co-owner of The Gooseberry Patch.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for the restaurant. If you'd like to donate, click here.

The owners hope to have the restaurant back open some time next month.