COLORADO SPRINGS — It's something becoming all too common for people, especially during the holiday season- porch pirates.
For Andrew McKee, he and his family experienced it this past weekend in Colorado Springs. They were out of town when their neighbor told them they saw someone take a package off of their porch. That's when McKee says he checked his home security camera and saw the man himself.
The package contained a Christmas present for McKee's child. "It just mind boggled me how someone can steal their, other kids toys for Christmas," said McKee,.
According to McKee, a few other families in his neighborhood fell victim to porch pirates over the weekend as well. With Cyber Monday and the holiday shopping season in full swing, it's an important reminder to keep a watchful eye. Experts say if you're not at home when your package is expected to arrive- send it to a secure place whether it's where you work or a UPS, FedEx location, or Amazon locker.
McKee bought the security camera a couple of years ago for situations just like this. A police report has been filed.
Other things to think about when shopping online today:
- If shopping via Amazon, consider their option of Amazon lockers. These locations around cities work like a one-time use post office box
- DO NOT let family or friends use your accounts to shop. This is a good way to avoid potential abuse.
- Use a credit card for purchases. Unlike debit cards, you have more options to dispute charges
- Check the URL of a site closely! Don't be fooled by criminals who use look-a-like addresses
- If a site asks you to download something to continue shopping.. be wary as that is not a normal practice for a reputable seller