COLORADO SPRINGS — Eight teens face multiple charges after a string of crimes earlier this week in Colorado Springs.
On Tuesday, Sept. 3, a Toyota 4Runner was reported stolen from the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at 1855 Aeroplaza Drive. The same SUV was reported as a suspect vehicle in several crimes the following day including:
- Shots fired at a residents on Longfellow Drive near Shelley Ave around 9:20 a.m. No injuries were reported.
- Several items were stolen from a liquor store around 10 a.m. and the suspect drove away in the SUV
- Reckless driving reported around 12:10 p.m. in the area of Airport Rd. and South Powers Blvd.
- A woman reported being robbed in the Chapel Hills Mall parking lot around 1:50 p.m. She said she was walking to her vehicle with her baby when three males got out of the 4Runner and approached her, pointed guns at her, and took her diaper bag and backpack before driving away.
- Around 2:23 p.m. the driver was seen pointing a gun at another vehicle in the area of the Highway 24 Bypass and South Union Blvd. No shot were fired.
Around 3:15 p.m. a CSPD K-9 officer saw the 4Runner near South Powers and East Fountain. As other officers arrived in the area the driver sped away, and the pursuit was called off due to public safety concerns. The SUV drove erratically and was involved in a crash in the intersection of Constitution Ave. and Canada Dr., but left the scene.
Officers attempted a traffic stop but the driver did not stop and another pursuit followed.
The 4Runner was involved in a second crash at the intersection of North Murray and Moffat Circle. Eight juvenile males, ranging in age from 12 to 17, got out and ran from the area but were caught by officers. All are from Colorado Springs.
A 17-year-old had 10 outstanding warrants for robbery and was also charged with the robbery at Chapel Hills Mall. A 12-year-old with an outstanding warrant for arson and theft was also charged with that robbery.
A 15-year-old was charged in the Chapel Hills robbery, as well as possession of a weapon by a juvenile. One of the weapons he had was stolen during the burglary of a motor vehicle on July 17.
A 16-year-old is being charged with eluding and other traffic-related offenses.