NewsCovering Colorado


Dozens evacuated due to fire inside Quail Cove Apartments

Quail Cove Fire
Posted at 2:49 AM, Dec 01, 2023
and last updated 2023-12-02 00:03:41-05

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo — The Colorado Springs Fire Department knocked down a fire at the Quail Cove Apartments early Friday morning that displaced dozens of residents.

According to CSFD, 10 units at the complex were impacted by the flames that began to spread in the 2 a.m. hour. Everyone inside the building was able to make it to safety.

One of those families was the Cardona’s.

“I heard shouting and screaming, the word help got me out of bed,” Carlos Cardona said.

Carlos Cardona woke up and looked out his window. He alway his neighbors on the staircase. He then got out of bed to check out what was going on.

“I opened the door, and I saw smoke,” Cardona said.

The fire was right across the hall from Cardona’s apartment.

“I could not feel the heat but I was able to see the fire because the door was open, and it was quite obvious and the smoke got quite thick and the fire moved so fast, so quick,” Cardona said.

His family was still sleeping.

“So immediately I went to grab my son out of bed, got my mother in law, and went to grab my wife, just get everyone out of there as soon as possible,” Cardona said.

Carlos said his eight year old son knew exactly what to do.

“He goes to Mountain Song Community School, they have been doing fire drills, he knew what to do, he was ready. It was amazing,” Cardona said.

The Cardona family waited safely in their car for the fire department to arrive.

“They were quick but at the same time it just felt like a long time,” Cardona said.

According to the public information officer with the Colorado Springs Fire Department, Ashley Franco, the fire department got the call for the structure fire at 1:17am.

“Engine 4 arrived at 1:23, arrived to heavy fire at this apartment building behind me,” Franco said.

She said 1 resident with minor injuries was treated and released

“We do have about thirty people displaced along with several pets,” Franco said.

The firefighters saved a cat that was stuck in the building for hours.

“There are some items that are just irreplaceable, some beloved things, my wife has one, my son has one. For me it is my family and I was able to get them out of there,” Cardona said.

Cardona said the fire department did retrieve some of his belongings from his home.

“We know that people have those things that are so meaningful to them but we want to make sure people are getting out safely,” Franco said.

The fire department said as soon as you hear a smoke alarm, to get out of the building as soon as possible and do not try to grab items.

“People aren't replaceable, belonging are,” Franco said.

It took firefighters about three hours to get it under control. The American Red Cross is offering support to families. Cardona said the most important thing is that his family is safe and they have a place to stay.

There's no word yet on what started the fire.