COLORADO SPRINGS — Colorado Springs Fire Department responded to a fire that broke out in the basement of Johnny's Navajo Hogan restaurant off of North Nevada Ave Tuesday morning.
Our photojournalist Juice said he spoke with one of the people inside the building at the time of the fire, and he stated the fire began in the laundry in the basement. He and a chef attempted to contain the flames with a fire extinguisher. They were both able to escape the restaurant safely as the smoke continued to grow.
CSFD arrived on scene with three engines, two ladder trucks, and a total of 28 firefighters to fully contain the fire.
CSFD PIO says there was smoke damage throughout the building, but it appears the fire was contained to the laundry area in the basement. Crews will be in mop-up operations for the next few hours.
Northbound Nevada is closed between Polk and Fillmore.
We will continue to bring you updates as we learn more.