NewsCovering Colorado


Pueblo Police Officer injured when shots fired during domestic violence call

Pueblo Police
Posted at 10:39 AM, Oct 04, 2023

PUEBLO — One officer with the Pueblo Police Department (PPD) was shot during an incident involving a barricaded suspect in the 4200 block of Surfwood Lane in Pueblo while responding to a report of domestic violence with a weapon around 9:15 a.m. on Wednesday, according to the department.

The officer is in stable but critical condition, according to PPD; their name is not being released at this time.

News5 spoke with a few neighbors who live on Surfwood Lane. Multiple neighbors said they typically feel very safe in this area. One woman said a few years ago, a couple of houses were broken into, around the neighborhood.

One neighbor said she heard five to six gunshots around 9:30 a.m.

She said she looked out her window and saw a child, around 7 or 8-years-old, run out of the home and into the yard. She also said she heard someone yell, “Run, honey, run.” The neighbor said more Pueblo Police officers, Pueblo County Sheriff officers, members of the fire department, and ambulances arrived at the scene very quickly.

Sergeant Franklyn Ortega, the public information officer with PPD, said this all started when two officers responded to a call of domestic violence with a weapon, around 9:15 a.m. Wednesday.

Three people were in the home, including the suspect, who is a man, along with a woman and a child.

Ortega said the suspect began shooting at the officers shortly after they arrived. He said the woman and child were able to get out of the home before the suspect barricaded himself inside the residence. The incident led to a shelter-in-place order being issued for the surrounding area.

“We obviously have the scene surrounded but we want to make sure everyone is safe so that is why we have a shelter in place. We notify the people around there on what's going on, so they are not just coming out and potentially getting themselves in danger,” said Ortega.

The SWAT team also arrived on the scene with their large armored vehicle.

"We surrounded the residence, we evacuated the neighbors, we kept asking him to come out, he did not come out, so then we got our swat team activated, continued to call him out and then at some point he walked out,” said Ortega.

He said the suspect came out of his house and surrendered about an hour after barricading himself inside.

Ortega was not able to confirm what charges the suspect is facing but said they could include attempted murder of a police officer.

Police initially reported the situation around 10:15 a.m. on Wednesday via Twitter. They said an investigation is underway.

This is a developing story. News5 will continue to update this article as we learn more.

Watch KOAA News5 on your time, anytime with our free streaming app available for your Roku, FireTV, AppleTV and Android TV. Just search KOAA News5, download and start watching.