COLORADO – The deadline to file your taxes is less than a week away. For most taxpayers, Monday, April 15th is the cut-off date.
But if you have not filed yet, don’t worry because there is still time.
Here are some last minute tips for procrastinators:
- File electronically
- tax software can easily flag potential errors
- can do the math for you and alert you if there is missing information
- IRS has a free “do it yourself” software program
- Hire a professional tax preparer
- with recent changes in federal tax law, one careless mistake could cost you a lot of money
- you could get hit with penalties and charges if you use the wrong filing status or forget to report income
- Proofread your tax return
- check the math and make sure your social security number is correct
- verify your bank account details
There are still several places across Colorado that can help you file your taxes for free just in the nick of time.
If you still need more time to file, the IRS recommends getting a tax extension which gives you another six months to file.