NewsCovering Colorado


Fourth DMV location can now serve undocumented immigrants

Posted at 2:20 PM, Mar 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-19 17:03:49-04

COLORADO – Illegal immigrants in Colorado are now able to get full-service appointments at another DMV location.

First-time applicants can sign up to get identification cards and drivers licenses.

Colorado Springs, Grand Junction and Lakewood already have in-person appointments. Now people can visit the DMV in Aurora for these services.

The change is being made to accommodate higher demand.

The documents created for this purpose are not valid as a federal identification, for voting purposes or for public benefits.

Right now there is a bill moving through the Colorado General Assembly to require the Department of Revenue to issue identification documents, such as driver’s licenses, to people who are temporarily undocumented, at 10 or more offices throughout the state.

Currently, the Colorado Road and Community Safety Act authorizes the state to issue a driver license, instruction permit or identification card to individuals who either cannot prove lawful presence in the U.S. or can only prove temporary residency. This law took effect in 2014.

For people unable to prove their permanent legal immigration status, an appointment is required at the DMV.

As of Monday, there are now four offices in Colorado who issue identification documents to individuals who are unable to demonstrate lawful presence in the U.S.

Senate Bill 19-139 would require at least 10 offices to issue the documents by January 31st, 2020 if approved.

The bill states the general assembly declares this act is “necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health, and safety.”

For those who are able to prove temporary status and residency, you may apply for documents at any state driver license office, an appointment is only required for driving tests.

All applicants must present proof of residency one of two ways.

Option one requires an affidavit DR 2212 (A or B) affirming residency, evidence of residency like a utility bill or credit card statement, and a tax return filing for the immediately preceding year.

Option two requires an affidavit DR 2212 (A or B) confirming continual residency for 24 months and evidence of continual residency for 24 months.

Both options also require proof of ITIN, affidavit DR 2212 (A or B), and either a passport, consular ID card, or military ID document from your country of origin.

SB19-139 was introduced in the Senate February 12th and was assigned to the Finance committee. It has passed out of the Senate and is now assigned to the House Transportation and Local Government committee.

Proof of Residency
Proof of Residency