SAGUACHE – The Saguache County Sheriff’s Office reports inmate David Freeman is back in custody following a manhunt this morning.
Freeman escaped for the county jail around 11:00 p.m. Thursday. Details on how he got out are not immediately available. He was wearing orange uniform pants, an orange shirt and a white t-shirt at the time.
Back in June, Freeman was a wanted party involved in an Amber Alert for a boy missing out of Crestone. He was arrested three days later in Garfield County, Utah where authorities reported he was found walking around nude with a boy and harassing campers at the Bear Paw Resort.
Charges were filed in Utah for child kidnapping, lewdness involving a child and reckless endangerment. Those charges could be considered later dependent upon the outcome of the cases against him in Colorado.
Colorado court records show the 61-year-old is awaiting trial on felony charges for:
- kidnapping, sex assault or robbery of a child
- sex assault of a child
- enticement of a child
- sex assault of a child by someone in a position of trust
- sex assault of a child under 15-years-old by someone in a position of trust
- sex assault of a child between 15 and 18-years-old by someone in a position of trust
- sex assault of a child, pattern of abuse
- witness/victim intimidating
The records also show Freeman arrived at the Saguache County Jail on August 15th which was accompanied by a protection order issued against him the same day.