COLORADO SPRINGS — There are families in Colorado Springs that are without food, childcare, and other essential needs because of the COVID-19 crisis.
If you are looking for a way to help the community during the coronavirus pandemic, News5 has come up with a list of places that you can volunteer and help support those in need.
Care and Share Food Bank for Southern Colorado. There are two ways you can help support Care and Share Food Bank.
The first is to become a volunteer to make sure the Colorado Springs community have the food they need during the crisis.
Volunteers must be healthy and 16 years of age or older.
Important safety policies for all volunteers:
For more information and to sign up to be a volunteer, click here.
Another way you can help the Care and Share Food Bank is to donate money. There are mulitple ways that you can donate, by phone, mail, online or simply texting NOURISH to 56512. For more information, click here.
Pikes Peak United Way
There are several upcoming and urgent volunteer opportunities that Pikes Peak United Way is offering.
- Colorado Springs Promise Food Distribution. Help Pikes Peak United Way in distributing food at Mitchell High School to families in need. This is happening on April 9th from 1 p.m. until 4:30 p.m.
- Emergency and Disaster Relief Volunteer. Sign-up to become an emergency and disaster relief volunteer. Currently asking these volunteers to assist in any efforts to provide relief during COVID-19.
- Crossfire Ministries needs drivers. Due to a few pantries that have made the hard decision to close, Crossfire Ministries has been asked to take on some additional food pick-ups. This is flexible to your schedule. Click here for more information.
- Food Pantry Volunteers. Assist with pre-packaging grocery boxes for clients so that Crossfire can continue to serve those in need. Currently this is Tuesday-Thursday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Shifts will vary depending on state orders.
- The Salvation Army shelter volunteer. Help The Salvation Army receive food, unload, sort food, package emergency food boxes for pickup and delivery. In their Colorado Kitchen help with meal prep and cooking or simply with sanitizing throughout. This is happening Monday through Friday and various times throughout the day are available.
- Silver Key Jack of All Trades Volunteer. Various opportunities available including kitchen prep, calls of reassurance to clients, food pantry and delivering meals. This is happening Monday through Friday and various times throughout the day are available.
- Partners in Housing-Donation Drive Manager. Support Partners in Housing’s effort in securing donations for their residences.
- Southeast Donation Drive. Help D2 meet the needs of families in their district! Please donate the following items:
- Toilet Paper
- Baby Supplies
- Children's Cold Medicine
- General Toiletries
Drop-off items at the following locations between 9:00AM-2:00PM on any weekday!
- New Life (North) - 11025 Voyager Pkwy, Colorado Springs, CO 80921
- Pulpit Rock Church - 301 Austin Bluffs Pkwy, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
- Vanguard Church - 3950 N Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80917
For more information on the volunteer opportunities offered by United Way Pikes Peak, click here.
The Salvation Army Colorado Springs Corps is still working to meet the needs of our community during the coronavirus crisis.
You can volunteer your time by preparing food boxes for struggling households.
As services by the Salvation Army, increases, you can donate money to support their relief efforts in the community.
For more information, click here.
Fresh Start Center has opportunities available in their gardens, food program, and even on the administration side. You can sign up as a company, church, organization, family, or individual.
You can also give a monetary donation by clicking here.
For that latest information on COVID-19 in Colorado and the United States, click here for updates.