PUEBLO – Households earning less than $55,000 per year can now obtain free tax-filing assistance through a popular program by the United Way of Pueblo County. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, launched Monday and will continue through Tax Day, April 15, at five locations across Pueblo and Pueblo West.
“Last year we did over 1,300 returns,” said program coordinator Judith Boudreaux. IRS-trained and certified volunteers will help tax filers complete their returns accurately and to ensure the maximum possible refund. “We brought back $1.8 million into the community (last year), and in an 11-week period. That’s not bad.”
“We make sure that all of the preparers have all of that information about what tax credits are new, or let’s not forget this one, or maybe you’re qualified for that,” Boudreaux said.
Services are first-come, first-served, with no appointment necessary. Tax-filers will need to bring the following:
– Social Security card(s) (for taxpayer and all dependents – must have ALL cards)
– Photo ID
– If covered by the Affordable Care Act for health insurance, bring form 1095A, 1095B, or 1095C
– A copy of last year’s tax return (if applicable)
– Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from each employer
– Interest and dividend statements from banks (forms 1099)
– Bank account number and routing number if you desire a direct deposit
– If filing a joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign required forms
– If you have purchased a home in 2018, bring all mortgage documentation
– If claiming daycare expenses, total amount paid and daycare provider’s Tax ID Number
Locations and days in which services are provided at each location are listed below:
– MONDAY: Minnequa Apartments, 1400 E. Orman, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– TUESDAY: Lucero Library, 1315 E. 7th St., 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. & Intellitec College, 3673 Parker Blvd., 4-7 p.m.
– WEDNESDAY: Rawlings Library, 100 E. Abriendo Ave. (3rd floor training room), 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
– THURSDAY: Intellitec College, 3673 Parker Blvd., 4-7 p.m.
– FRIDAY: Pueblo West Library, 298 S. Joe Martinez Blvd, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
For our coverage on free tax-filing help in Colorado Springs, CLICK HERE.