COLORADO SPRINGS – The Colorado Springs Police Department has notified the public of a sexually violent predator living at 2010 Carmel Drive #315.
The community notification is in accordance with Colorado law. Shelwyn Jerome Williams is a sex offender who has been labeled a “sexually violent predator” by the parole board, according to CSPD.
Williams was reportedly convicted of Attempted Second Degree Sexual Assault in 2000 in El Paso County. His criminal history revealed he was also convicted of Possession of a Controlled Substance in 1988, Attempted Sale/Distribution of a Controlled Substance in 1990 and 1992, Harassment in 1998, Forgery in 2008, Failure to Register as a Sex Offender in 2010, and Driving with a Revoked License-Aggravated in 2012.
Police said Williams is registered and living at 2010 Carmel Drive #315 in Colorado Springs. He is described as a black male, 55 years old, 5’6″ tall, 154 lbs, with black hair and black eyes.
Williams is one of 16 “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department living in the community.
The police department says it will make all reasonable efforts to ensure Williams registers as a sex offender and understands his responsibilities.
CSPD performed the following tasks required by law:
- Notified the D.O.C. Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Williams’ residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Williams’ status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: www.ColoradoSprings.gov. Click on Public Safety then click on Police.