COLORADO SPRINGS — Happy Thanksgiving! I‘m from a big family that loves an army-sized, home-cooked meal, so naturally, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. But it’s weird this year.
Unfortunately, my mom, sister and step-dad all tested positive for COVID-19. They’re on the mend, but we are playing it safe and will be celebrating alone this year.
Ryan and I are cooking up a feast for the kids. Just kidding it’s for us, but we are planning some fun activities for the boys:
- Coloring our Thanksgiving table cloth ($3 at Target)
- Ice skating at Acacia Park (if the weather allows)
- Decorate cookies to drop at loved one's doorsteps
- Take family pictures (all right this one is for me)
- Hike and scavenger hunt
- Virtual family visit
And then it’s all hands on deck for our favorite holiday: Christmas! The tree and lights go up this weekend. I can’t wait to decorate. It’s my goal this year to shop local for Christmas gifts. Small businesses need our support to stay afloat during the pandemic. Plus, I’ve always found more unique gifts shopping small.
These are some of the places we love:
- Poor Richard's
- School Crossing Toy Station
- Salus (bath & body) - Manitou Springs
- Covered Treasures bookstore - Monument
- Buffalo Ridge Trading Post - Old Colorado City
- Eclectic Co
- Urbane Collective
- Finders Keepers - Palmer Lake
Small business Saturday is huge for businesses in downtown Colorado Springs. This year it’s happening every Saturday during the holiday season.
You can find more information and download the free Discover Downtown Digital Pass on the city's website by clicking here.
And please share your favorite places with us. I know there are plenty that we have yet to discover!
If you have questions about how I'm able to handle a busy work and home life, join my Facebook Group - Brie and Baby Three to get involved in the conversation.