We're waking up to our first real blast of winter-like weather this season in southern Colorado. Snow will end by late morning and then it will be a cloudy cold day with all of our communities below freezing through the day and into single digit temperatures tonight.
We're also keeping an eye on school closures as major districts have closed completely for the day.
Closures and Delays as of 8:00 a.m. See the updated closing and delay list.
- Academy D20 - 2 Hours Late, No AM preschool
- Cheyenne Mountain D12 - Closed
- Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind - Closed
- Falcon District 49 - Closed
- Elizabeth School Dist. - 2 Hour Delay
- Fountain-Ft. Carson D8 - Closed
- Fowler R4J - Closed
- Harrison D2 - Closed
- Lewis-Palmer D38 - Closed
- Manitou Springs D14 - Closed
- Miami-Yoder JT-60 - Closed
- Widefield 3 - Closed
- Woodland Park Re-2 - 2 Hours Late
Keep an eye on traffic conditions with KOAA Traffic, as there are slowdowns and numerous crashes reported on roads across the region and into Denver this morning.
Colorado Springs Police are on accident alert status. This means that in the case of a traffic accident, all parties involved should agree to exchange information and report the accident individually if:
- No one was injured or died.
- Drugs and alcohol are not suspected as factors in the crash.
- The wreck didn’t damage any public property, like road signs, utility poles, or guard rails.
- It was not a hit and run.
If any of those factors are applicable to the situation, law enforcement should be contacted.
New to the area and looking for driving tips? Check our guide to winter weather driving on snow and ice.
Track this storm through the morning, including snow totals and updated forecasts, on the First Alert 5 Weather stream, which can be viewed on the KOAA News5 app for your Roku, FireTV, AppleTV or AndroidTV.
Snow totals so far:
6" - near Manitou Springs
5" - Colorado Springs - Broadmoor
5" - Colorado Springs - near Sand Creek High School
3" - Colorado Springs - near Dublin & Powers
3.3" - Colorado Springs Airport
3" - N of Colorado City
1.7" - Pueblo Airport
1" - Pueblo Reservoir
- Get your latest First Alert 5 Weather Forecast
- Find the current school closing and delay list
- Keep track of flight delays at Denver International Airport or the Colorado Springs Airport
- Watch KOAA News5 LIVE newscasts and updated content throughout the day in your browser, the News5 App, or your favorite streaming device.
- Download the free News5 App for your iOS or Android device to get the latest headlines and news across Colorado.
- Download the free First Alert 5 Weather App for your iOS or Android device to get the latest headlines and news across Colorado.
- You can find us on social media with KOAA on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter