With so many people now choosing to simply shop online due to the convenience of home deliver, thieves are on the lookout for delivery trucks and packages left unattended.
Which is why News5 wants to help you nab these thieves by putting them in our Porch Pirate Hall of Shame.
If you capture someone stealing someone's delivery on camera, send us the video (or pictures) as well as the general intersection of where the theft happened, and a police report number we can keep track of. We here at News5 are committed to showing those videos until the thief or thieves are caught.
You may send your videos and/or photos to email@example.com use subject line 'Porch Pirates'
To keep your packages safe this holiday season, or any time of year, consider the following:
- Lockboxes: You can build or purchase a rugged lock box for your porch. Bolt it down to a permanent surface, concrete or asphalt work well.
- Timely package collection: Pick up your package immediately after delivery, or have a neighbor collect it. UPS, USPS and FedEx all have tracking services to get a better idea of when exactly your order will arrive.
- Have your package delivered to you at work, so you can accept it immediately.
- Require a signature on all deliveries and insure your packages when possible.
- Security cameras: Security cameras are a tried and true deterrent for all manner of criminal behavior. Thieves are very aware of cameras and often look for them before attempting theft.
- Security signs: Post a sign in your yard informing the poacher that your home is under video surveillance or has security alarms.