BOONE — The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office said a 54-year-old man was seriously injured and two dogs died in a house fire early Thursday morning near Boone.
Authorities said the man woke up to the fire and was able to get out and drive himself to a family member's house. That family member took him to a Pueblo hospital before he was transferred to a Denver hospital, where he is currently being treated for burns and smoke inhalation. He was the only person inside the house. The two dogs couldn't escape from the modular home in time and died.
Firefighters from multiple agencies responded to the home, located in the 60000 block of Highway 96 around 3:40 a.m. When they arrived they said the home was fully engulfed in flames. A car parked near the home was also destroyed.
Firefighters said the home was a total loss, and it is not considered suspicious in nature.