NewsCovering Colorado

Actions

House fire on Greenwood Circle in Colorado Springs

House fire on Greenwood Circle
Greenwood Circle Fire
Posted at 10:27 AM, Dec 11, 2020

The Colorado Springs Fire Department is at a home on the 3000 block of Greenwood Circle this morning checking for hot spots and cleaning up following a reported fire on the first floor of the home. The house is just off of S. Circle Drive, between Airport Rd and Pikes Peak Ave.

As of 10:35 a.m., the fire is reportedly under control. According to CSFD, two people were home at the time the fire started. A neighbor called 911 once they noticed smoke coming from the home.

A neighbor went into the home to help get a woman to safety. No one was injured and all pets are accounted for.

Video provided by the fire department shows moderate smoke or steam coming from the windows on the main floor of the home. Crews are having to watch out for any icy spots as the temperature this morning remains below freezing.

While the cause of this fire is not known, it is always good to keep in mind how to stay safe while staying warm. Here are tips from the Colorado Springs Fire Department:

Space Heaters

  • Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people.
  • Place the heater on a solid, flat surface.
  • Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
  • Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never block an exit.
  • Keep children away from the space heater.
  • Plug the heater directly into the wall outlet. Never use an extension cord.
  • Space heaters should be turned off and unplugged when you leave the room or go to bed.

Fireplaces

  • Make sure the protective linings and smoke ducts are clean and in good condition.
  • Check to see that the chimney is clear and in good repair.
  • Keep the top of chimneys clear of tree limbs or debris.
  • Never use gasoline, charcoal lighter or other fuel to light or re-light a fire because the vapors can explode.
  • Do not burn trash or gift wrap in the fireplace because certain plastics, foam rubber and other coated materials can cause deadly fumes. Flying sparks could also allow the roof to catch fire.