NewsCovering Colorado

Actions

Gov. Jared Polis announces limited number of fans to attend Broncos game

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:58 AM, Sep 08, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-08 15:18:11-04

COLORADO SPRINGS — Gov. Jared Polis announced a limited number of fans will be allowed into the Broncos game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers later this month.

Polis is joined by Brittany Bowlen with the Denver Broncos and Sarah Tuneberg with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

The game scheduled for Sept. 27 will allow mostly season ticket holders back into Empower Field at Mile High. Polis said there will be 5,700 fans allowed to attend the game. Bowlen said the fan experience will look very different with required mask-wearing and fans separated in pods from one to six people.

"Season-ticket members will be entered into a lottery" where they will receive a time frame to reserve tickets, according to Tuneberg.

This press conference comes one day after CHSAA Commissioner Rhonda Blanford-Green announced that she will be meeting with Polis and his COVID-19 response team this week to reconsider the 2020-2021 football season as previously approved by the governor's office.

During Tuesday's press conference, Polis said the state would be thrilled to work with CHSAA as long as it does not interfere with students returning to school.

In August, CHSAA announced that high school athletics would be split into four seasons and sports teams' schedules will be shortened under the calendar for the year.

The governor also announced the state will be partnering with Google and Apple to help notify people who may be exposed to COVID-19 and provide information on steps to take next.

"It will be rolled out toward the end of September," Tuneberg said. "...Data, security and privacy is of the utmost importance."

Tuneberg and Polis reiterated the service will be available for Coloradans to opt into and will not share private information from devices.