COLORADO SPRINGS — A local family is recovering after an early-morning fire ripped through their home on the southeast side of Colorado Springs, killing their dog and sending one of them to the hospital.
The fire broke out around 6 a.m. Saturday at the Cantebury Mobile Home Park at 2674 Preakness Way.
The owner of the home, Elena Gomez, was asleep when the fire started. She says the scorching heat woke her up. The only thing on her mind was getting her daughter-in-law and three-month-old grandson safely out of the house.
"I wrapped a head wrap around my head and threw myself to go tell Graciela, my daughter-in-law," said Gomez.
They quickly grabbed a blanket for protection and was able to escape from the house. Gomez says everything was happening so fast and she didn't think to grab the dog.
"I heard him cry, but I was screaming and everything was going through my head. I wasn't really thinking," said Gomez.
Gomez says they didn't have a phone with them and no one was up so she ran back inside the house to grab a phone and call 911.
"The fire was already starting to get more that way so I came in quick for the phone and ran out," said Gomez.
While she doesn't know why the smoke alarms weren't working at the time., she says they would have helped alert them to the fire. With only enough time to get themselves out, they lost a lot of their possessions. The one thing that survived.
"I had this picture of a Saint and that is the only thing that made it," said Gomez.
She says God was watching out for her family that day. Right now, they need clothes, diapers, and baby formula. Anyone interested in helping the family can contact News 5's Mayo Davison via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Graciela- Size 11 pants, medium/large shirts and size 6/7 in shoes
- Gerado- 36/32 pants, large shirts, and 8 1/2/9 shoes
- Santiago- 3-6 month clothes. size 2 pampers and gentle lease formula