COLORADO SPRINGS — As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, one local nonprofit is continuing to serve the community.
COSILoveYou is mobilizing 2,000 volunteers to safely serve the city of Colorado Springs at its annual CityServe Day Saturday. It's the sixth year for the event and the largest one-day volunteer event in the city. Volunteers from local churches and businesses at over 50 project locations across the Pikes Peak region will participate in the event.
"We mix people up and send them all over the place. It's fun that they get to serve with some people that they know but also make some new friends along the way," said Stu Davis, executive director for COSIloveYou.
CityServe Day is a no-strings-attached, city-wide day of service where “all are welcome to serve and be served.” Volunteers will give their time and energy to schools, parks, local non-profit organizations, neighbors and neighborhoods, serving some of the most prominent needs that exist in our community.
"We're serving 22 schools, a lot of nonprofits, parks, and open spaces. We've got a lot of outdoor projects going on this year," said Davis. "We've got people who are rejuvenating nurseries at apartments for expectant mothers, we've got people writing cards for seniors living in assisted living facilities who are feeling lonely. We've got lots of different projects this year."
Last year, CityServe Day had nearly 4,200 volunteers from 66 local churches and 15 businesses represented. Together, they generated over 12,700 volunteer hours in a single day.
"It's continued to grow every year. This year is obviously a little bit different, but as we continue to get more and more people out there, we continue to build relationships with non-profits. The longer we do it, the better we do it, the more it enhances this collaborative approach to serving our community." said Davis.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, CityServe Day is smaller in scope. This year’s projects are smaller, allowing for appropriate social distancing, but still offer focused and strategic opportunities to serve throughout Colorado Springs.
COSILoveYou is encouraging volunteers to wrap up their day of service by stopping by one of 18 locally-owned businesses. All they have to do is wear the "I served Today" sticker and receive a discount at the following businesses:
- 1231 Craft Kitchen (2490 N. Powers, Frontage Rd.)- 20% discount
- 3.14 Pi Bar (5152 Centennial Blvd.)- Free non-alcoholic beverage with any purchase
- Almagre (2460 Montebello Square Dr.)- Free classic cocktail with the purchase of any food board
- Building 3 Coffee (2727 N. Cascade Ave.)- BOGO any coffee drink.
- Colorado Craft Social (15 S. Tejon St.)- 20% off food purchase
- FH Beerworks (2490 N. Powers, Frontage Rd.)- BOGO pint
- Goat Patch (2727 N. Cascade Ave.)- 25% discount
- Good Neighbors (505 Columbia St.)- 20% discount
- Happy Tap (1757 S 8th St.)- BOGO pint
- Local Relic (320 S. Weber St.)- HAlf off a flight of beer with purchase of a food item
- Odyssey Gastropub (311 N. Tejon St.)- BOGO any coffee drink
- Peak Place (2360 Montebello Center Dr.- BOGO any coffee drink
- Salsa on the Rock (802 Village Center Dr.)- Free appetizer
- Switchback Coffee (both locations- 15% discount