SOUTHERN COLORADO — While some use the opportunity of a week off to go to the beach, the mountains, or travel to a new place, there's still plenty to do in the upcoming week for those who want a more local break from the routine.
Marvel at some exotic animals
They Cheyenne Mountain and Pueblo zoos are always a good choice, especially if you or your kids love animals. Stroll down the boulevards of the zoos to check out giraffes, lions, leopards and more.
And if you're in Pueblo, you're in luck, the Pueblo Zoo is offering tickets with a 50% discount on Wednesday, March 23.
Keep your education going with some trips to museums
There's no shortage of excellent museums around Southern Colorado, and it's a fun way to keep learning outside of the classroom.
In Colorado Springs, a non-exhaustive list includes:
- The United States Olympic and Paralympic Museum
- The Pioneer Museum
- The Penrose Heritage Museum
- The ProRodee Hall of Fame and Museum of the American Cowboy
- The Space Foundation Headquarters and Discovery Center
- The Old Colorado City History Center Museum
- The Western Museum of Mining and Industry
- The Manitou Cliff Dwellings
- The Miramont Castle Museum
In Pueblo and farther south, a non-exhaustive list includes:
- The Pueblo Heritage Museum
- El Pueblo History Museum
- Royal Gorge Regional Museum and History Center
- The Florence Pioneer Museum
- The Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum
- The Buell Children's Museum
- The Steelworks Center of the West
- The Museum of Colorado Prisons
- The Pueblo Railway Museum
Enjoy the fresh air and some great views
Southern Colorado, of course, has no shortage of incredible places to explore outdoors. While the weather may not always be cooperative, here are some ideas if you're trying to get outside the house and into nature.
- Dinosaur National Monument, where your kids can see nearly 1,500 dinosaur bones and explore trails
- Great Sand Dunes National Park, where you can have your own 'beach' adventure, with a lot less saltwater
- Take a trip out to Eleven Mile State Park and enjoy some incredible views
- Head into the mountains and check out Mueller State Park
- It's impossible to gloss over Garden of the Gods Park, and a walk through it will never get old
- Make your way out the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park and enjoy the majesty of the canyon and the Arkansas River
Watch KOAA News5 on your time, anytime with our free streaming app available for your Roku, FireTV, AppleTV and Android TV. Just search KOAA News5, download and start watching.