COLORADO – Local law enforcement wants to get the word out about the 14th National Take-Back Initiative.
The DEA is coordinating the nationwide effort which is focused on providing convenient locations for the public to drop off medications. The drug take-back event will happen Saturday, April 27 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
They will take excess, unused and expired substances.
Can be accepted:
- Prescription medications, including prescribed controlled substances (DEA Schedule II– V).
- Over-the-counter medications.
- Liquid medications (small amounts in original, non-leaking containers).
- Medicated patches (Used Fentanyl and Duragesic® patches are extremely hazardous. They may be folded in half, sticky-side together, and flushed down the toilet.)
- Medication samples.
- Medicated ointments.
- Pet medications.
- Unused drug injection cartridges, e.g. unused EpiPens® and insulin pens (must be unused with needle still protected inside).
- Unused inhaler canisters, e.g. Advair®, Spiriva®, ProAir® and Ventolin® (must be unused, no empty canisters or unneeded plastic holders/mouth pieces).
Cannot be accepted:
- Illicit drugs (e.g. DEA Schedule I drugs like heroin, LSD, etc).
- Needles, syringes, and other sharps.
- Chemotherapy drugs.
- Medical tools and supplies.
- Bloody or infectious waste.
- Personal care products.
- Empty containers.
- Medication wastes generated by health care facilities, including nursing homes.
Find a location near you available for drop-offs on Saturday.
El Paso County
- Colorado Springs Police Department Police Operations Center – 705 South Nevada Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
- El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste Facility – 3255 Akers Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80922
- UCHealth Memorial Hospital North – 4050 Briargate Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80920
- Monument Police Department – 645 Beacon Lite Rd., Monument
- Security Fire Department, Station 1 – 400 Security Boulevard, Colorado Springs, CO 80911
- Castle Rock Police Department – 100 Perry St., Castle Rock
- King Soopers Marketplace – 5544 Promenade Parkway, Castle Rock
- Pueblo Police Department parking lot – 200 S. Main Street
- Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office – 320 E Joe Martinez Blvd Pueblo West, CO 81007
- Pueblo King Soopers – 3050 W Northern Ave, Pueblo, CO 81005
- Pueblo Rural Fire Department – 9912 US-50 BUS, Pueblo, CO 81006
- Beulah Fire Station – 8675 Central Ave, Beulah, CO 81023
- Valley Health Mart Pharmacy – 4493 Bent Brothers Blvd, Colorado City, CO 81019
- Teller County Sheriff’s Office Training Facility – 320 Weaverville Rd., Divide
- Florence Police Department – 600 W 3rd St, Florence, CO 81226
- Cañon City Police Department – 161 Justice Center Rd, Cañon City, CO 81212
- Fremont County Sheriff’s Office – 201 N 6th St, Cañon City, CO 81212
The state has an extensive network of locations available for drug take-back throughout the year. Click here for an interactive map of locations.