COLORADO SPRINGS – The Pikes Peak Regional Air Show announced its lineup Monday, headlined by several aircraft spanning different eras in aviation.
The U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor Demonstration team serves as the main act of the show, which is scheduled to happen on Sept. 21 and Sept. 22 at the Colorado Springs Airport.
The F-22 is the Air Force’s most advanced fighter jet. According to the Air Force, the jet’s design and high thrust to weight ratio allow it to outmaneuver all current aircraft.
In addition to the F-22, The Air Force Academy’s “Wings of Blue” jump team will jump from a WWII era B-17 Flying Fortress and there will be numerous other WWII-era aircraft there. One of those includes a P-51 Mustang, which was flown by the Tuskegee Airmen. The Air Show will also feature a multimedia exhibit about the Airmen called “Rise Above.”
At this time, the following acts are scheduled to perform at the Air Show:
- The USAF F-22 Raptor demonstration team
- United States Air Force Academy “Wings of Blue” jump team will be making a jump to start the show, from the Commemorative Air Force Gulf Coast Wing’s B-17G Flying Fortress “Texas Raiders”
- United States Air Force Academy Glider Team aerobatics performance
- The Tuskegee Airmen Red Tail P-51 Mustang, along with the educational and riveting Tuskegee “Rise Above” multi-media exhibit
- Kyle Franklin aerobatics in his stunt biplane “Dracula”
- The Heritage Flight will feature the P-38 Lightning “White 33” with the USAF F-22 Raptor
- A special salute to veterans of the Vietnam era: a three-ship flyby of the surviving USAF A-1 Skyraiders from Viet Nam
- Aerobatics: F7F Tigercat, F3A Corsair
- Rocky Mountain Renegades aerobatic team
- Fort Carson Chinook and Blackhawk helicopters demo with troop rappelling drops
- Grumman Flight formation early WWII F3F bi-plane, F4F Wildcat, F7F Tigercat and TBM
- Flybys, individual and formations: B-25 Mitchell, P-47 Thunderbolt, F3F bi-plane, SBD Dauntless, two consecutively built F7F Tigercats, PBY Catalina, three P-51 Mustangs, three A-1 Skyraiders, two TBM’s, P-38 Lightning, F4F Wildcat
Other aircraft will be on display, including helicopters from Fort Carson. and a C-130 from Peterson Air Force Base. More aircraft are expected to be added to the list as air show nears.
CLICK HERE for more information about tickets.