NewsCovering Colorado


Fire crews detail life-saving efforts after February house fire

Posted at 11:22 AM, Mar 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-18 20:43:47-04

COLORADO SPRINGS – Colorado Springs firefighters have completed an investigation into a fire that could have turned deadly for one resident.

Crews say they were called to a home on Bordeaux Drive around 9:10 p.m. February 28th after reports of smoke coming from the second story of the home as well as a possible trapped victim.

Firefighters encountered smoke pouring from multiple areas of the home and quickly moved to what they call an offensive attack and as that was happening say their hose team quickly found a person unconscious on the second level of the home.

That victim was rescued and taken to the hospital for treatment, firefighters say the victim’s rescue is considered a “life-save” that could have ended much differently.

Crews say their rescue efforts could have easily been slowed inside the home due to “hoarding” with piles of belongings scattered throughout the home.

The fire was determined to have been caused by a faulty electrical receptacle or extension cord, and firefighters say this serves as an important reminder to use caution with extension cords inside homes and making sure that any electrical work is completed by a licensed professional.