COLORADO SPRINGS – Fire crews were once called to a house fire southwest Colorado Springs this morning. This call came in just after 8:30 a.m. for flames and smoke inside a home converted into multiple apartments on Oak Way just north of Cheyenne Boulevard.
No one was injured in this incident. However, the people who live there are looking for 2 cats.
It also appears the home is not a total loss, unlike the other fire this morning.
News5 is working to confirm the possible source of the fire.
Multiple fire trucks are on Cheyenne Blvd blocking traffic as the road to the home is too narrow to bring multiple trucks up to the house.
— CSFD PIO (@CSFDPIO) December 7, 2018
While we don’t the cause of this fire or the earlier incident, it is worth mentioning to take extra care with space heaters and fireplaces. Space heaters should not be placed close to any other objects, especially flammable objects. Also ensure the cannot be easily knocked over by a child or animal.
As for fireplaces, they should be cleaned before every season and ensure the flue is clear to allow smoke to properly vent from the home. If your home has an electric or natural gas fireplace, remember to dust around an inside the unit where the controls are located. The glass of the unit should also be cleaned every season. Just find your manufacturer and model number near the controls to find contact information or a website for further assistance.
As for the first fire, crews are still on Wedgewood Court investigating the blaze that tore through a home west of the Cheyenne Mountain Resort and south of the Broadmoor.
At one time, video from the scene showed most of the structure was engulfed in flames. CSFD was forced to fight it from the outside of the home. As of 7:30 a.m., firefighters are mopping up hot spots.