NewsCovering Colorado


Fire inside Sand Creek High School bathroom closes school

Posted at 12:30 PM, Nov 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-14 16:11:30-05

COLORADO SPRINGS – A fire inside a first floor bathroom at Sand Creek High School before the lunch hour caused the entire school to be evacuated and closed for the remainder of the day.

A spokesperson for the Colorado Springs Fire Department characterized it as a small fire. However, fire and smoke damage posed a risk to students and staff.

As the fire was first detected staff made sure everyone left the building in an orderly fashion, even if that meant leaving some belongings behind. Fortunately, no one was injured.

Parents were reunited with students organized gathered outside.

District 49 is working with a fire restoration company in the hopes of resuming classes on Thursday.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department will work with the Colorado Springs Police Department on the investigation.