NewsCovering Colorado


Check carbon monoxide detectors as freezing weather approaches

Posted at 6:45 PM, Oct 13, 2018
and last updated 2018-10-13 20:45:30-04

COLORADO SPRINGS – As a hard freeze moves into Colorado bringing temperatures down to the teens for some areas and significant snow, we’re all going to be starting up the furnace, so please remember to check your carbon monoxide detector batteries.

Gas and oil burning furnaces and portable generators can produce the poison gas.

Every house should have a detector with functioning batteries near every sleeping area in your home. If you haven’t done so yet, consider having your furnace inspected by a professional for any possible carbon monoxide leaks.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that kills without warning. If there is a leak, you may not know until it is too late and symptoms start. That’s especially dangerous if your family is affected while asleep.

“Make sure you have a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector interconnected on every floor and for every bedroom. If you sleep with your door shut, make sure it’s inside your bedroom,” warns Brian Vaughan of the Colorado Springs Fire Department.

Symptoms include a headache, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, and confusion. If affected get into fresh air immediately and call 911.