NewsCovering Colorado


Denver fire crews respond to reported chlorine gas leak

Posted at 11:51 AM, Aug 31, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-31 14:20:47-04

DENVER – Fire crews in Denver were able to quickly fix a chlorine gas leak near 40th Ave. and Havana.

The department tweeted several pictures and said they were working to contain a Hazmat situation that was reportedly a chlorine leak. The incident was reported before noon on Friday.

By 12:15 p.m. the department tweeted that the leak was eliminated and the area around the link was cleared. All evacuations were lifted at that time. In all, Denver fire reported five people were transported to the hospital.

Low exposure to chlorine gas can cause eye and nose irritation. At high levels of exposure, upper respiratory tract irritation and fluid in the lungs can happen, contributing to a felling of choking.