Two Pueblo Deputies are credited with saving the lives of a disabled woman and her dogs after a fire that started in a shed in the backyard spread to the woman’s home.
When the Deputies originally arrived at about 2:35 a.m. Tuesday morning, they noticed the back of the home in the 900 block of Saki Drive was in flames. Three people ran out of the home and told the deputies that a paraplegic woman and her animals were trapped inside.
Deputies Dante Guadagnoli and Cassandra Gonzales ran inside the home and found the woman in a recliner. They picked her up and placed her in a wheelchair to get her safely out of the house.
When they ran back in to make sure no one else was in the home, a portion of the home’s roof collapsed. Both of them got out of the house safely.
It’s believed the fire may have started with a generator that was stored in the shed. The generator was being used to supply electricity to the home. The house has been deemed as a total loss and the American Red Cross is helping the occupants of the home with temporary housing.