WAGT – Two young boys are recovering after attempting to save their friend’s life at an Augusta, Georgia park.
It was a freak accident that turned tragic for three families.
Deputies say 12-year-old Melquan Robinson climbed over the fence at Fleming Park to get a football. The incident report says “When Robinson went to come back over the fence, he was electrocuted.”
11-year-old David Sette and his friend Traqwon Berry tried to Melquan off the fence.
“I kept freaking out because I knew he was gone because he was foaming out of the mouth, wasn’t moving, wasn’t talking, wasn’t breathing and his eyes rolled to the back of his head,” David said.
“So I put my hand on his back and then I grabbed the gate, at the same time, and then it started electrocuting me,” David added. “I felt like I couldn’t move. It felt like the electricity was holding me down.”
David’s mother, Brandi Sette is in disbelief this happened, especially knowing she could have lost her son.
“My head touched the gate and I just saw a light in my eyes and I closed my eyeballs and I thought I’d died at first,” David said.
Melquan lost his life that night.
“I go through these moments where I feel guilty for being thankful that my son is alive when they don’t get to take their son home,” Brandi Sette, David’s mother, said. “It breaks my heart it really does.”