COLORADO SPRINGS – A structure fire at the Rodeway Inn in Colorado Springs was reportedly accidental but attributed to misuse of a phone charger.
Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 1623 South Nevada Ave around 2:50 p.m. Monday. Smoke was visible from a lower level room on the front side of the motel, according to Colorado Springs Fire.
Firefighters discovered a burning mattress and box spring in the room and brought it outside to be extinguished. The fire was contained to the mattress with no other damage reported.
Approximately 30 firefighters were dispatched to the working fire. Fire inspectors were also called out to the scene and determined the blaze was accidental but the cause was attributed to misuse of a phone charger, according to CSFD.
No injuries were reported.
CSFD does want to remind all people to use the appropriate charging devices for the battery in your phone or device as it is the best way to avoid this type of fire.
- Always use the appropriate charger for your device: check voltage to make sure it is same as the original charger
- Don’t buy the cheapest charger, buy the right charger
- Read reviews of the charger you are buying
- Never cover any heat sources, such as chargers and phones, as heat build-up may lead to fire to adjacent combustibles
People are asked to review their owners manual which can typically be found online.