Infection from dog’s saliva leads to quadruple amputation

Posted at 10:42 AM, Aug 03, 2018
and last updated 2018-08-03 18:46:08-04

(WTMJ) The family of a West Bend man who had to have his hands and feet amputated said he’s lucky to be alive after doctors traced the bacteria that attacked his body to a dog’s saliva.

Greg Manteufel’s legs began to hurt in late June. He complained of a fever, his wife and son thought he had the flu and took him to a hospital.

“I never expected this to turn into what it did, it’s unfathomable,” said Mike Manteufel, Greg’s Son.

According to doctors, the infection that cost him his extremities originated in the bacteria of a dog’s saliva.

To fight the infection, Greg’s blood rushed to vital organs like his brain and liver and stopped flowing to his hands and feet, all had to be amputated.

CLICK HERE to read more.