COLORADO SPRINGS – This is a busy time of year for fire crews.
Monday morning, Colorado Springs Firefighters rushed to the scene of a garage fire on E. Kiowa. The blaze put off a lot of smoke, but thankfully there were no injuries.
Fire risk during the holidays is actually higher inside your home.
Experts say two-thirds of fire deaths this time of year are from fire involving Christmas trees in living areas. That’s why they say to keep open flames at least a foot away from anything that can burn. You should also keep candles away from pets and children.
It’s a good idea to regularly inspect wires, and don’t overload circuits.
Experts also recommend using flame-retardant decorations whenever possible.
As always, keep an eye out in the kitchen and make sure real Christmas tress get enough water.