Man dies days after being tased multiple times by CSPD officers, - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Man dies days after being tased multiple times by CSPD officers, investigation underway

Posted: Updated:

Colorado Springs Police said a man who was tased at least three times by officers died several days after his arrest.

Police said 27-year-old Jeffrey Melvin died on May 2, six days after police were involved in a prolonged struggle with him at the Remington Apartments on April 26.

Police said Melvin was wanted on a warrant for attempted second degree murder and medial staff told police initial tests showed showed the presence of alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine and heroin in his system.

Police issued a lengthy report Wednesday about their response during the situation.

Police said they were allowed into an apartment where they where they found 26-year-old Jordan Bruno, a woman and a girl inside the apartment. Police said Bruno told them he'd been fighting with friends who had since left the apartment.

Shortly after that, Melvin came back to the apartment and tried to lock himself inside the apartment, while one officer was already inside. When officers said they tried to arrest him, police said Melvin began flailing and running away from them. Police said Melvin tried to jump out of a second story window twice while officers attempted to restrain him.

That's when one of the officers said he used both cartridges from his taser to subdue him. Police said that attempt did not work, and neither did spraying him with pepper spray.

Police said they then wrestled with Melvin for three minutes before he tried to run to the door. One of the officers tried tasing him again, which was ineffective. The officer tried a fourth time, which was "initially effective" before he was able to open the door and took off running away from the apartment building across Fountain Boulevard.

CSPD said he eventually slowed down and fell to his knees. Police said an officer struck Melvin in the torso after they said he wouldn't put his hands behind his back to put him in handcuffs. They eventually got him in handcuffs.

Police said Melvin told officers he had trouble breathing, prompting a call for an ambulance. He was taken to Memorial Hospital. Police said Melvin was sedated at the hospital and taken to the intensive care unit, where he eventually died six days later.

Melvin's family has initiated a complaint with CSPD, which will be investigated by Internal Affairs. Police said all officers involved wore body cameras that were activated during the incident, but that video has not yet been released as there is an investigation underway.

Bruno was served a summons for Resisting/Interference with a Public Official and released. In a follow-up interview he told a CSPD detective he was drunk during the incident and did not remember anything. 

Download the KOAA News 5 App iOS/iPhone here and for Android here.

Drive the Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2018, KOAA.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?