What you should know before getting a tree from U.S. Forest land - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

What you should know before getting a tree from U.S. Forest land

Posted: Updated:

With Thanksgiving behind us, many people in Colorado are looking for a perfect Christmas tree.

One of the best ways to get a good tree legally is to obtain a permit from the U.S. Forest Service and find one on U.S. Forest land. But before you head out to the woods, there's a few things you should know.

  • First, get a Christmas tree permit from the Forest Service. These are available at Forest Service offices. They are usually around $5 to $10. 
  • When you get your permit, be sure to read all rules and regulations
  • Be sure to leave with plenty of daylight left and bring appropriate supplies
  • Look for a tree that is at least 200 feet away from a  road, recreation site, or campground.
  • Never cut a tall tree just for the top
  • Select a tree from overstocked areas and thickets. Watch restricted areas. Cut only one tree per tag
  • Use a handsaw, chainsaws are prohibited and axes are less effective
  • Be sure to apply the Christmas tree tag after you take the tree

Bring it back home and give it a fresh cut to before setting up the tree.

The Forest Service has locations in Colorado Springs, Cañon City, Fairplay and Salida to buy permits.

CLICK HERE for more information about Christmas tree permits.

Drive the Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2018, KOAA.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?