Quantcast

Roofers warn of post-hail carbon monoxide exposure risk - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Roofers warn of post-hail carbon monoxide exposure risk

Posted: Updated:

Roofers working to repair damage from Thursday night's hail storm in Colorado Springs say they're coming across an unexpected and dangerous type of damage.  "It could seriously kill somebody," says Total Roofing CEO Scott McIntyre.

In addition to damaging shingles, windows, railings, siding, and patio furniture, the baseball- to tennis ball-sized hail also damaged ventilation caps on chimneys.  McIntyre says specifically that Type B vents sustained damage that could pose a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Type B vents are basically exhaust pipes for gas furnaces and water heaters.  McIntyre says the problem is that the hail dislodged the vent cap lids, causing them to collapse and block the ventilation pipe's opening.  "Four out of four (homes) that have this vent today (Monday) that we got on all had this exact same situation," McIntyre said.  "We haven't seen this before and it's a potentially deadly situation."

McIntyre says anyone who was in the path of the hail storm and has a Type B vent should access their roof and check the cap for damage or call a licensed heating and air conditioning contractor to come check it.  "You do want to have a licensed or qualified contractor come out and check that vent cap because that's the way that combustion products can vent to the outside," said Colorado Springs Utilities spokesperson Natilia Sibert.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, nausea, dizziness, headache, shortness of breath, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.  Prolonged exposure can be deadly.

Top Trending Videos

WEATHER
Drive the Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2017, KOAA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?