Quantcast

Burned man shares safety warning after battery explosion caught - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Burned man shares safety warning after battery explosion caught on camera

Posted: Updated:
COLORADO SPRINGS -

A man severely burned after his e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket is sharing his story with News 5. The whole thing was caught on surveillance video when it happened inside "A Vape Store" in Colorado Springs. 

"The next thing I know, I see just my whole side go up in flames and I started running," Jonathan Pool said. "It was just that quick."

A battery ignited when it touched keys and coins in Jonathan's pocket. "I carried it with me," he said. "I didn't think anything would happen with it."

"I had no idea a battery like that could cause that kind of damage," witness Ted Brannon said.

Jonathan showed us the second and third degree burns on his leg.

"I'm doing alright," he said. "Limping around a few days, but I'm doing okay."

The co-owner of A Vape Shop says battery explosions are giving a safe hobby a bad name.

"These same batteries are used in a lot of other things including lanterns that you take camping," Robert Wirth said. "They're not just vape batteries, they're high current batteries that are rechargeable."

Wirth posted the surveillance video with a message about battery safety on his website and Facebook pages. He says you should always keep batteries in a plastic case.

"Keep it in that because that's for certain not able to conduct electricity," Wirth said. "Or keep it in your mod, you know, your vape. That's even better."

Jonathan vapes to keep from smoking cigarettes. He says he didn't know storing the battery in his pocket could have consequences because there's no warning on the packaging.

"It's kind of one of those 'I hear about it but I can't believe it happened' kind of things," Jonathan said.

He's spreading the word and the video so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

"I want people to look at it," he said. "I want people to see it. I don't want it to happen to others, it definitely doesn't feel good."

Wirth says if you carry any higher current battery, even a cell phone battery or 9-volt in your pocket with other metal, the same thing could happen to you. 

Top Trending Videos

WEATHER
Drive the Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2017, KOAA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?