Quantcast

Your Healthy Family: Spike in carbon monoxide poisonings - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Your Healthy Family: Spike in carbon monoxide poisonings

Doctors are seeing a lot of cases of carbon monoxide poisoning, just in the past month.
Memorial Hospital has provided emergency hyperbaric treatment for 13 people.
"Normally we would get one or none in a month so 13 is a huge spike for us," said Dr. Rob Price, the medical director for the department of hyperbaric medicine at UCHealth Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Price says carbon monoxide is a gas that's invisible and odorless, and when inhaled, prevents your body from getting enough oxygen.
Having an alarm in your house is key.     
"CO poisoning can cause permanent brain injury and death and is a very big problem here in Colorado in the winter time," said Dr. Price. 
Four of the cases they've seen have been related to wood burning stoves.
Treatment is done in a chamber - a tube filled with 100% oxygen. 
It gives patients the oxygen their body desperately needs to reverse the effects of the poisoning.
It's the only 24/7 hyperbaric oxygen therapy provider in the state. 
Signs and symptoms include a headache, dizziness, slurred speech, and sometimes nausea.

WEATHER
Drive the Doppler
Powered by Frankly

© KOAA.com 2017, KOAA.com
A CORDILLERA COMMUNICATIONS Station
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?