From Our Sponsors:
Summer has finally arrived and that means some quality time in the shade. But first things first. Let's cross “Check the A/C” off the Honey Do list to assure maximum cool – and domestic tranquility – in the scorching heat of Colorado's July and August.
Now is the time to make sure air-conditioning units are in perfect working order.
“Maintaining your home's heating, ventilation and air conditioning system (HVAC) is incredibly important for your family's comfort and safety and for the value of your home,” Trent Urban, owner of The Wire Nut, Colorado Springs, Colorado, says.
A well-maintained HVAC system is key to lower utility bills, fewer costly repairs in the future and an overall longer life expectancy for your system.
Check out these 5 tips for maintaining your HVAC:
1. Get a tune-up
No one wants to get stuck in a sticky situation – literally – when the air conditioner breaks down during a heat wave. Twice a year before major weather changes, Trent Urban recommends getting your HVAC system serviced by a professional. Specifically, he says to do this twice a year before major weather changes. “You'll save yourself time, money and peace of mind by taking this preventive step,” he says.
2. Check the air filters
It is not commonly known, but a healthy furnace is needed to have an active air conditioning system. Dirty air filters in an air-conditioning system lower air quality, unit efficiency and can lead to breakage from an overworked system. You should clean your filters about other every month. The process only takes about 10 minutes (check your owner's manual for specific instructions). “If the filter filth builds up too quickly, it might be time for a replacement of the unit,” Trent says.
3. Keep the area clear
In order for your system to work properly, all vents and units need to be free of debris. Keep lawn clipping, brush, leaves and other vegetation at least two feet away from your outdoor air conditioning unit. Free up indoor vents from objects such as blinds or furniture to keep air flowing.
4. Check your seals for leaks
Just as an open door or window lets heated or cooled air out, so can leaks in the seals of your windows, doors and ventilation ducts. Check these areas periodically for breaks in the seal to prevent less efficient cooling and heating and higher utility bills.
5. If it's broken, get it fixed today
Don't put off getting your HVAC checked out if something seems wrong; little problems can become major ones very quickly. Some signs of damage include: rattles and squeaks from your unit; warm air delivered from the A/C unit; the air conditioning unit does not switch on even when interior temperature reaches a trigger point; fluid pools under or near your furnace or air conditioning unit.
When life is too busy for HVAC patrol or if your air conditioner is not cooling the air in your home to the level you expect, turn to the professionals at The WireNut. Since 2004, Front Range homeowners have come to count on The WireNut's excellent products, terrific value and great customer service.
Nobody beats our guarantees:
• Speed: Our “There today or you don't pay” guarantee assures that we'll arrive same day on any service for all jobs booked before 4 p.m. In addition to our “sam day” services, we're also available for 24-hour emergency service when you really need us.
• Satisfaction: If an A/C system we install does not perform as stated and we can't fix it, we'll remove it and return 100 percent of your investment.
• No lemons: If an A/C compressor fails twice in the first five years we will install a complete and new outside unit.
• Performance: If an A/C system we installed does not cool your home within three degrees of the temperature we stated, we will repair or replace the system at no charge.
• Home protection: We protect your landscape, walls and furniture during a job and will replace or repair anything damaged during a job.
• Savings: We guarantee you will save a minimum of 30 percent on home cooling costs when we install new equipment, or we will refund you double the difference of your unrealized savings during the first year.
Here's the number to call for quality, service and peace of mind: (719) 484-0101, or drop by our website and book online to request a free estimate.
This article was produced for and sponsored by The WireNut, Colorado Springs, Colorado. It is not a product of or affiliated with KOAA.