Quantcast

Your Healthy Family: Pueblo police officer loses 100 pounds - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Your Healthy Family: Pueblo police officer loses 100 pounds

Posted: Updated:
COLORADO SPRINGS - A Pueblo police officer recently lost 100 pounds in just 120 days.

He spoke with News 5 about how he did it and what's changed since he dropped the weight.

"Really I'm just a lot happier than I have been in a lot of years," said Officer David Woods.

Woods was injured during a training accident in 1999. After that, he started to put on weight, and it just kept creeping up.

"I fell into that kind of spiral where I was hurt so all I did was sit around, I ate, I didn't want to exercise because every time I exercised it hurt," he said.

He tried fad diets but didn't see lasting results.

"I tried some of those low carb diets which worked good, but the thing was after a while I really wanted some pasta and you just can't have that," said Woods.

Recently a fellow officer told him about Metabolic Research Center.

"Now with Metabolic, it's such a variety, I've got their cookbook, I'm always trying recipes out of there," he said.

He started the program about four months ago.

"It's just been a great journey ever since."

"I had already lost 20 pounds in the first week and I was just amazed," Officer Woods said.

Since then, he's lost more than 100 pounds and is almost to his goal weight.

"I've been really down on myself prior to going to metabolic about my weight. I've always felt bad."

"I'm actually seeing more of myself like I used to be then I ever have before."

While Woods has short term goals like going back to running marathons; long term - he wants to be around for his family.

"I've got my grand kids now to keep up with. I want to be around for a lot of years. I want to see my great grand kids and my great great grand kids; and the way I was going over a hundred pounds overweight there was no way that was going to happen," he added.
  • Your Healthy FamilyMore>>

Your Healthy Family: 25 year old Colorado Springs man battles kidney disease

Friday, September 22 2017 4:44 PM EDT2017-09-22 20:44:51 GMT
    Dominic Maffia, a 25 year old Colorado Springs man who is not your typical kidney patient.Dominic Maffia, a 25 year old Colorado Springs man who is not your typical kidney patient.

Team Maffia is one of the many teams that will be at Memorial Park this Sunday morning for the Kidney Walk.  No, it's not a team of gangsters, it's a team supporting Dominic Maffia, a 25 year old Colorado Springs man who is not your typical kidney patient.

Your Healthy Family: TBI survivor to climb Pikes Peak for 16th time

The Pikes Peak Challllenge raises awareness for TBI communityThe Pikes Peak Challllenge raises awareness for TBI community

he Pikes Peak Challenge is described by organizers as a life changing event that creates understanding of the everyday challenges people live with who have suffered a traumatic brain injury.

Your Healthy Family: 2017 Colorado Springs Kidney Walk is this Sunday morning

Friday, September 22 2017 10:57 AM EDT2017-09-22 14:57:02 GMT
    Colorado Springs 2017 Kidney Walk is this Sunday September 24th at Memorial ParkColorado Springs 2017 Kidney Walk is this Sunday September 24th at Memorial Park
    This Sunday is the Colorado Springs Kidney Walk at Memorial Park.  The Kidney Walk is not about kidney disease, it's about the people with kidney disease coming together to celebrate life and each other, and to raise awareness and money for research and to benefit the lives of people living with kidney disease and their families. Many teams have already formed for this year’s walk and started raising money.  Events like this happen all across the country.  Mo...
  • Covering ColoradoMore>>

Victim in critical condition from auto vs. pedestrian involving police car

Monday, September 25 2017 5:15 AM EDT2017-09-25 09:15:17 GMT

COLORADO SPRINGS - The Colorado Springs Police responded to an auto vs. pedestrian accident involving a patrol car Sunday night. The incident occurred on Academy Boulevard and Dublin Boulevard.

A 13-year old ambushed and bike stolen near Palmer Park

Monday, September 25 2017 12:59 AM EDT2017-09-25 04:59:13 GMT
    Brendan Johnson, 13, shows reporter Andy Koen the spot where he was ambushed and had his bicycle stolen two weeks agoBrendan Johnson, 13, shows reporter Andy Koen the spot where he was ambushed and had his bicycle stolen two weeks ago

COLORADO SPRINGS - A 13-year old named Brendan Johnson was ambushed on a bike ride near Palmer Park, where his bike was stolen.

Local business owner reacts to NFL controversy

Monday, September 25 2017 12:28 AM EDT2017-09-25 04:28:32 GMT

In almost a years time, Stephen Martin believes he's come full circle.  The owner of Prime-Time Sports in Colorado Springs received backlash a year ago when he decided to cancel an autograph-signing event for Bronco's Brandon Marshall.  'I  was called a racist bigot I was accused of being a member of the Ku Klux Klan you know, how dare you cancel?" said Martin.

WEATHER
Drive the Doppler
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Dead body found, police say scene is suspicious

Sunday, September 24 2017 7:09 PM EDT2017-09-24 23:09:20 GMT

COLORADO SPRINGS - The Colorado Springs Police received a call of a dead body south of the Drake Martin power plant Sunday.

Doherty High School closes campus during lunch and free periods

Sunday, September 24 2017 8:30 PM EDT2017-09-25 00:30:01 GMT
    An officer near the scene of a shooting across the street from Doherty High School. (KOAA)An officer near the scene of a shooting across the street from Doherty High School. (KOAA)

COLORADO SPRINGS - After a shooting in a parking lot across from Doherty High School Friday, the school is taking many precautions in keeping students safe. The high school's Principal sent a letter to parents Sunday, saying starting Monday the school's campus will close during lunch and free periods.

A 13-year old ambushed and bike stolen near Palmer Park